Feng shui – a Chinese system of geomancy believed to use the laws of both Heaven (Chinese astronomy) and Earth to help one improve life by receiving positive qi. The original designation for the discipline is Kan Yu (simplified Chinese: traditional Chinese:pinyin: literally: Tao of heaven and earth).
What is Feng shui really?
Well, whatever it is – I dig it. Is my apartment set up perfectly feng shui style? HECK NO! But I tried a bit. The most fruitful thing Iv gotten from feng shui is the de-cluttering. See, I have this closet that just sucks in junk, we all have one I’m sure. Sometimes I get in a mood and take the day to clean and organize this closet and boom, something new pops into my life. Years ago I got a new job offer after cleaning out my closet. Since then…Iv seen new friendships arise, even a new dog. Coincidence? Perhaps. A shifting of energy giving me space to allow new amazing things to enter my life? Sure, I’ll buy it.
feng shui curious? here are some nifty tips:
To help you get started with good feng shui in your home, here are some helpful feng shui house steps for beginners:
- Clear Out Your Clutter, get rid of everything you do not love in your house. Clutter Clearing is a time-and energy-consuming process that will feel like therapy, but it will help you lighten up the load, so to speak.
- Have Good Quality Air and Good Quality Light in your house. These two elements are essential for good feng shui energy (called Chi) in your home. Open the windows often, introduce feng shui air-purifying plants or use an air-purifier. Allow as much natural light as possible into your home, and consider using full-spectrum lights.
- Define the Bagua, or the feng shui energy map of your house, by using one of the two main feng shui methods – the compass school bagua or the BTB grid. Once you define the bagua, you will know which areas of your home are connected to specific areas of your life. For example, in traditional feng shui, the Southeast feng shui area of your home is connected to the flow of money energy in your life.
- Get the Basics of 5 Feng Shui Elements in order to create balance and vibrant energy in all areas of your home. For example, if you are working on attracting more prosperity, you will introduce the feng shui elements of Wood and Water in the Southeast area of your house. If your need to improve your health, you will place lush wood feng shui element items, such as plants or pieces of wood furniture in the East area.
- Find Out Your Feng Shui Birth Element and create a home to nourish and support your energy. For example, if your own element is Fire, you need to introduce the expressions of Fire feng shui element, such as the Fire element colors (red, orange, purple, magenta, pink, yellow), triangular shapes, etc. You will also need a strong Wood element in your home, as Wood feeds the Fire in the relationship of five feng shui elements.
- Find Out Your Kua Number and Your Lucky Directions so that you can be energized by good energy from your best, or lucky feng shui directions. Adjust the position of your bed, your desk, the seating in your dining area, etc. For example, if your Kua number is 1, it is best to face one of the following directions: Southeast, East, South, and North.
- Always Be Mindful of the Feel of Your Home and how its energy influences your well-being. Make a habit of paying close attention to the so-called feng shui trinity that is deeply connected to your health – your bedroom, your bathroom and your kitchen. Nothing is static in the world of energy, so be wise and keep your home healthy and happy.
So tell us – do you feng shui?